Differences between the codes of ethics and the codes of conduct:
- Code of ethics is designed to govern decision making. It has a wider implication on the organisation and it’s surrounding environment.e.g- To avoid any process which affects the environment, or to prefer the local public to give employment opportunity, On the other hand, code of conduct is designed to regulate the activities of employees and stakeholders. e.g- Better front line office management, greetings for women employees etc.
- Code of ethics help the organisation to maintain its sustainability and goodwill for the longer duration of time, code of conduct helps the organisation to keep out from short-term conflict, and help to maintain fraternity between employees.
- Code of Ethics contains the general principles and values (social, moral etc.)that the organisation must strive to achieve. Code of conduct, on the other hand, is specific rules/guidelines that the organisation must follow.
- Code of conduct explicitly mentions the ways by which the values and principles mentioned in the Code of Ethics can be achieved and what actions would be taken in case of their violation.
- “Code of Ethics” is a set of doctrines that is looked upon by the organisation while framing a policy while ” Code of Conduct ” is the set of rules that have to be adhered to the situations arising out while managing the daily proceedings.
- “Code of ethics” is an outcome of the codifying of Universal values like Integrity, Honesty, Selflessness, Accountability, leadership that can have positive outcome on the growth of the organisation but on the other hand “Code of conduct” are formed out to deal with the day to day issues arising in an organization like safety of women , awarding contracts , behavior of the employees and so on
- Code of ethics guides decision-making while Code of conduct regulates employees behaviour.
- A violation of Code of ethics may or may not attract punitive action, while a violation of Code of conduct almost always involves a punitive action.
- Codes of ethics are symbolic that is how we want to form our reputation and code of conduct is institutional i.e. they articulate boundaries and expectations of behaviour..